Wednesday 9 March 2011

Poster Design Process

So tomorrow, we have a focus group arranged with a local school where they will be asked a number of questions to see how well they react to certain aspects of our project. The one that concerns me most is the poster design and QR code results. Now, the school that the focus group is taking place at is an all girls school, which isn't the most ideal scenario but it's the best the producers could do in the limited time we have.  My main concern from this, is that the results that come back regarding the QR codes will be negative as girls won't know what it is. Most guys don't know what it is except for extremely nerdy geeks like myself. Or Japanese people. Will wait for the results though, I may be pleasantly suprised.

The poster designs will be finally figured out tomorrow as well based on feedback, like what colour the text should be, how the image should be layered etc. So I thought before my mind gets all biased, i'd give a quick look at my favourite designs that I made.

For some strange reason, this image has locked itself in portrait orientation. Strange. Anyway, this is the first poster that I made for Agoraphobia, took me about 5 minutes to knock up and it was purely to give the group an idea of what to think about. It incorporates the tagline our project now has, What Scares You?, and the logo that we also had made by Hannah's dad. I'm of the opinion that there has to be a defining thing that links all these posters together so that you know that it's part of the same campaign, which is why I added the logo on the hanging sign. A few issues that the group brought up was that although it instantly put the idea of festivals in to your head, which helps the phobia, it doesn't seem scary enough and the target age group wouldn't be attending festivals. Although I agree with the last statement, it doesn't mean we can't put this image on. It's an effective image that gives the viewer an image of 250,000 people in a crowd and your one of them. I think it allows the audience to get the idea of what we are aiming at. Anyway, I don't think it shows fear enough so I set out to incorporate the logo more.

This poster I like because you kind of have to look hard to see what the hell is behind the text. I know it'll get a negative from the group but I like it anyway so thought may as well show it. In case you can't see it, it's a massive spider to show off Arachnophobia.


OK, for this one, the olive green background has been removed and replaced with another festival image. I took it during Rolf Harris in case you are wondering and the funny thing was Mike Histon on the directing course is 6 people behind me, behind the F in fear, in the photo but didn't know him at the time obviously.

Anyway, the text will be changed to What Scares You? instead and a web address will be added for the people who don't have access to a QR reader but i'm going to recommend that the app that we're pitching comes with a QR reader as well. The swirls is what I thought would be the link between each viral poster made. It adds the extra "fear" level that the first poster just didn't. Anyway, I experimented further rather than just settle.

Now this one creeped me out as I went round the body erasing the background of the Spider, so it's kind of a hash job but as it's still in beta phase, who cares, you get the idea behind it. This is another one of my favourites to be honest. I think out of both phobias, spiders is going to be the easiest to creep an audience out with. I'm not afraid of spiders but i'd still get creeped out if I found this guy in my shower!


Going back to the 2nd poster style but with a crowd instead. I think this kind of works to be honest but it's kind of hard to read the text so the outline of the text will have to be bolded up to make it clearer to read.

This final one, i don't like at all. This was what I did when told that the festival poster doesn't appeal to young teens, so I went and found a school picture off of google, put it behind the logo and faded the green background so you still had a kind of eeriness to it. I then tried to create the tagline using the same style of text that the logo uses but couldn't find it in the default text choices so I imagine that it is an extra plugin to be downloaded. I'll find it later, but at the minute the font I chose is definitely creepy. I just don't like the school children behind it. It just looks.......crap!

Anyway, tomorrow we get the focus group results back so i'll be able to focus all my time on the final poster design. Hopefully, the kids don't respond better to the last poster, or any of the other posters I made that just look lame.

1 comment: